Search This Blog

Monday, November 10, 2014

Boxed Wines Friend or Enemy???

Hello all,

Recently reading the November issue of Wine Enthusiast (WE) and they had an article on the top 100 wines under $15. After reading a few few of the reviews, I realized that I was already drinking most but there were a few I hadn't tried. One review that stood out on the list was BOX WINE review. WTH??? I decided to try it and a test a few other box wines. One great thing about box wines is that they keeps about 4 to 6 weeks compared to an average bottle of wine that might keep for 4 days max.
First, Bota Box 2012 Shiraz, WE gave it an 87 rating which I thought was fair. It's easy to drink with blasts of jam on the palate but not as dry as I would want it to be. It tends to be on the lighter side of reds and for $20 a 3L box (equivalent to 4 bottles) it's worth trying! Goes great with pasta and red sauce.


My next trial is Wineintube Tempranillo, WE didn't review it but I thought since this is a Spanish Tempranillo I should try it. I'm glad I trusted my instincts, it's a floral red with light tannins. Hefty body with over ripe fruits like strawberries, blackberries and plums. I've enjoyed this wine paired pizza, bbq chicken, and of course a juicy hamburger. This wine is meant to be drank every day with  normal foods or just to unwind at the end of the day. Average price: $17 a 3L box (equivalent to 4 bottles).





 
Saving my favorite box wine for last, Big House wines, their wines come in bottles or of course box. They have many varietals including white wine blend, red wine blend and the Cardinal Zin (Zinfandel), Pinot Grigio, etc. Versatile drinkable wines which can be enjoyed (all three of their reds) with steak, hearty pastas,  and other heavy dishes. The white wine blend can be paired with sushi and seafood. All great evenly balanced wines that are so easy to drink. Prices vary from $7 a bottle to $18 a 3L box.



So please enjoy these great wines that will keep longer than a few days and don't be afraid to try something new! I think these wines will be your new friend.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment